Re: FW: Re: Tesla Coil Efficiency Test

Hi John,

I'm not sure that I agree with any of the efficiency thoughts floating
around. My biggest brain block
here are the sheer number of variables. For example looking at watt-sec. If
I increase bps, I increase
my losses during the watt-sec period. Efficiency is dependent on these
types of variables their
interaction. If we were to set parameters to compare by (bps, power,
method, etc..), this still cannot
tell us efficiency outside the window of parameters.

I know I sound pessimistic. I guess I don't realize the usefulness. There
are many coilers who just
love to run at high bps (I'm not one of them). I would guess their losses
are high in comparison over
the watt-sec, but they also switch a lot of power over that same time
period and can take advantage of
streamer and air density relationships. These are all variables that
efficiency tests just can't
recognize.

Efficiency is a very subjective subject, and that in itself is half the
battle. Tesla Coils make
sparks. If we want to design an "efficient" coil as it pertains to spark
length, then we want to
design the greatest spark length for the least amount of input power. That
identifies a comparison of
spark length and input power and will consider all variables involved. If
we want one spark channel or
10, then we need to compare input power to those outputs. I just can't see
any other tests identifying
all the tid-bits, and in the controlled-chaos of coiling, an efficient
design is when experienced
coilers tell their tale and the builder applies the knowledge to their own
set of parameters. Heck, I
would just like to see coilers agree on the what defines effiency.
Typically, spark lengths, but not
always.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>