Re: Lexan (polycarbonate)

Original poster: "Scott Hanson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <huil888-at-surfside-dot-net>

Greg -

Lexan will work as well as acrylic. How are you going to attach it? If by
adhesive, make sure that the adhesive "bonds" to both the end cap and the
secondary material.

I use multiple sealed baffles within my secondaries to prevent internal
arcing. If you end up with multiple baffles and therefore multiple "sealed
chambers", its probably a good idea NOT to use any solvent-based adhesive
for fear of trapping flammable (explosive!) vapors within.

If this is a big coil (8" or larger), give careful consideration to good
mechanical design for supporting the weight of the topload. If you end up
with a $300 spun aluminum toroid on top, you don't want it to fall off if a
glue bond fails. I'd suggest bonding enough sheets  of Lexan to get 1/2" to
3/4" total thickness, and drilling and tapping radially so you can use 10-15
nylon screws to secure the end plate into the secondary.

As for a rotary disc, forget it. Check the heat deflection temperature and
you'll find it low enough to cause concern. I recommend only linen phenolic
laminate, or any of the fiberglass reinforced G-series epoxy laminates.

Regards,
Scott  ----- Original Message -----