Re: Solid state coil plans

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking for some basic solid state coil plans. I want a coil with
> performance somewhere between a basic flyback driver and one of
> the "real" solid state coils such as Alan Sharp's or Richie Burnett's.
>
> The complexity of Alan's and Richie's coils are somewhat above me at
> the moment. I want to start simple with a small coil, maybe driven by a
> single fet, and then build one of the bigger coils after I'm more
> experienced. If anyone has some plans, please let me know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Greg Peters
> Department of Earth Sciences,
> University of Queensland, Australia
> Phone: 0402 841 677
> http://www.geocities-dot-com/gregjpeters

The easiest way to get a small half bridge driver running is to find a
200-300W switching supply that is also half bridge and uses a good high
freq SMPS controller.  Then you just cut the board in half and keep the
HV side.  Put a pot on the SMPS controller for freq control.  There may
be some auxilliary inputs on the controller that need to be dealt with.
I've done it before and it saves a huge amount of time.  Then build a
simple TLC555 timer so that you can pulse the power on and off via the
controller enable.

The concensus seems to be that a closely couple primary coil is the way
to go, but if you go to Alan Sharp's page you will see my insanely
complex design from years ago that feeds the base of the coil.

Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project

www.pythonemproject-dot-com