From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2002 3:00 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: rotary gap: disc with holes?

Original poster: "Wells Campbell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com>

hello,

has anyone tried building a rotary gap with holes in the disc instead
of electrodes? I was thinking about it, and it seems that the biggest
problem would be the wear on the disc by the arc, but an arc it seems
would wear an insulator less than a conductor, because electrons would
not actually be entering / exiting the material. The post about phenolic
discs for grinders got me thinking, with their nice evenly spaced holes,
etc.

has anyone tried this type of gap? I.m cobbling together a small one
now, with plexi, no less, to study if the arc heats the material, etc.
I'll post results.

--
Wells Campbell
wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com - email