Re: MMC for 4 pack MOT supply

Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <f-h-at-c.dk>

Andy, all!

I have been running my 8" by 24" coil with both a centertapped,
oilsubmerged 4 stack of MOT`s, as well as an for reference coustum wound
mini pig wound to the same voltage.
This machine is using 20 strings of 10 pcs of Phillips 386 pulsecaps,
1600 VDC; 56 nF. total 112 nF.

The small value of each individual cap provides several strings, and I
like that. The coil delivers 5 feet streamers effortlessly.

Whay you might be interested in, is some experiments that I performed
back 2 years ago, when the MMC consept was still in it`s youth.

I started with 2 MOT`s, and 1 of the above mentioned cap`s in parallel,
they lasted 1/2 minute.
Next: 4 caps, 2by2, they lasted 15 minutes, burnt up 2 of those.
Disection showed big holes blasted in the center turns of
foil/dielectric, typical of heat buildup, due to excessive current, and
associated heat build up.

At this time I built a 4 by 8 cap, which went into 2 years of service at
a Frankenstein Stage built in an exebition at the danish electricity
museum, about the Romantic period, and electricity. That cap is still in
service.
I also built the logic intermediate, a 3 by 6 cap, which has been my
workhorse, serving me with sparks from the 4" by 14" coil that was