Re: Designing Primary Coil - Which resonant frequency??

Original poster: "D.C. Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>

The best way is just use some scrap # 12 AWG house type wiring and approx 24
turns on the primary.  Hold it up in some scrap cardboard --- cut slits in
the cardboard to hold the wire.  Scrap away a bare spot every turn so you
can adjust tuning clip. Stagger these bare spots around the primary so they
don't all line up and cause a flashover.

Run the coil and try every tap to see which one gives you the best resonance
with the pri cap you are using.  After you know, for example, 12 turns works
best, then throw away the scrap wire and make yourself a nice copper tubing
primary with a few extra turns, ie, 14 in this example, to allow for fine
tuning.  Do all your tuning at around 20-25% on the variac.  After you find
the "sweet spot" then you can bring the power up.

At full power you will probably have to tap down around 1/8th to 1/4 turn
due to the larger electric field above the coil's torus.

Using some scrap wire saves time and allows you to get the dial-in right
before you put the "slicks" on.

Best regards,

Dr. Resonance