Re: Location of Primary relative to Secondary???

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Location of Primary relative to Secondary???
>Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 17:18:47 -0600
>
>Original poster: "Daniel McCauley by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
>
>Regarding pancake primary coils?
>
>Where should the secondary coil reside relative to the flat plane of the
>pancake primary coil?  Should it be level with the base of the secondary
>coil or is this something that has to be adjusted during operation.
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Dan

I usually make the very first turn of the secondary, level with the inner
turn of the primary.  Its usually as level as i can get them.  I would
believe this to have the highest coupling, correct?  Be sure to leave a good
space between the two coils though.  Many people say that this IS something
that needs to be varied to find the best coupling, but so far i have made 4
coils with flat primaries, and they all work best when the windings are
level at the bottom.  If you see "racing sparks"  at the bottom of your
secondary, or anywhere else besides the toroid, you may be over coupled.
Just raise the secondary higher to reduce the coupling.  Good luck!

Steve Ward.