Re: Pocket neons/ neon sticks etc.

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Jolyon,
In my experience, these devices are close to the solid state or vacuum
tube tesla coils that are described in this group.  They generally have
a simple one transistor oscillator circuit that drives a step up
transformer at 25 - 50 kHz.  Some are amplitude modulated to give a
variable length glow in the tube.

I do not believe that they would be much good for driving a larger
display, as their power output is limited to a few milliwatts, and they
run from a couple of batteries.

The SSTC and VTTC folks are doing just what you describe, only using
very  much higher rated power handling components.

There is an outfit called "Information Unlimited" that sells,
inexpensively, bare light saber power supplies, as well as scripting
solid state inverters for neon, and a large variety of other HV RF power
supplies as well.  Interesting and pleasant folks to deal with.

See:

http://www.amazing1-dot-com/plasma.htm

HTH,
Dave Speck

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>