Re: salts and arcs

Original poster: "Eleanor by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <eflood-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 7:28 PM
Subject: salts and arcs

> Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>>
Anyone have any other common chemicals that they know of that do this type
of thing?  I want to try some mixtures of different things.  Its kinda like
 fireworks for the TC.  Have fun and try this.

Boric acid, available OTC in drug section, mixed with ethanol makes a nice
green.
Potassium chloride, available in groceries as salt substitute, gives a touch
of purple.
Calcium chloride, available most anywhere under the trade name "Damp Rid"
has produces the
best color for me...bright red.
There are lots of others, but these are the easiest to find.
If you have access to a community college and can befriend the chemistry
professor they will
tell you the things to use for color on logs in fireplaces and will
sometimes give you a small
amount of the chemicals.  They work the same for coils and Jacob's ladders.
Many of the chemicals are toxic and produce toxic fumes.
Be sure to use all of these with good ventilation and read the warning
labels.
Be careful and have fun.
Elli