Re: High Power Solid State Tesla Coil - Successful Test (EMI Susceptibility Question)

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

On Tue, 09 Jul 2002 07:31:43 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Ray Haynes by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ray.haynes-at-attbi-dot-com>
>
> Just wanted to jump in here and ask a question / make a comment.
>
> Do you worry about EMI messing with your driver circuits?

[snipped]

> Ray Haynes
> Antelope, CA

Oh, yes!  I had a terrible time, for a long time, until I a)
common-mode-filtered my low-voltage supply, b) got rid of MOSFET-driver
ICs that contained charge-pumps and c) cleaned up my high-voltage signals
as best I could.  Now, I have 5V circuits residing in a metal
box--together with 115 VAC and 18 VDC circuits--that is placed ~1 ft.
below the bottom of the 36"-tall secondary, and experience no
interference problems.  They work just as well with the lid of the box
removed.

I have 18 V full-bridge, bipolar-transistor, MOSFET drivers that are not
in the box but are located some 6" away from the bottom of the secondary:
no problem.

The EM fields are such as to produce ~30" sparks from a smooth 6" x 24"
toroid.

Ken Herrick
Oakland, CA