RE: TI UC2710 vs. Microchip TC4422 FET drivers SMT

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

You should try to stay away from SMT high current FET drivers unless you can
provide adequate heat sinking.  Most of the SMT FET drivers on the market
are designed for high power power supplies (DC-DC converters) which are
typically built on this special type of PCB board which is actually 1/16 to
1/4 inch aluminum.  This would then be attached to some sort of cold plate
etc... to remove the heat.

Even with my new SSTC, thru-hole (larger mass) TC442x drivers get pretty
damn hot and require fan cooling.

Dan