Re: the cure for racing sparks

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Paul,

Well everything that you mention is quite true, but ive managed to
overcome(i think) these problems.  Ive tried all sorts of toroids, but they
are not as good, and throw several smaller sparks.  The sphere almost always
breaks from the upper side or top of the shpere, not usually at the
bottom(since it is flat).  And ive tried the sphere on top of the toroid,
but the sparks werent nearly as good, and again, it made several weaker
sparks.  I feel that the sphere does very well with a small nut on top,  it
has no trouble breaking out there, and its never shot down the secondary
with the breakout.  I just like the violence of the coil when there isnt a
breakout point.  Its much more entertaining to me, you never know what will
happen!!  And in this way, it seems like the arc are louder, and sometimes
attract to nearby people (out of reach of course, but close enough to feel a
charging on your face!!!  its really amazing!!).  I think that my coil is
doing fine now, my rebuilt transformer seems really robust, in that it takes
lots of abuse, especially with the kickback from the sphere.

Steve Ward
PS, thanks a lot for all of the help with my VTTC, its slowly becoming more
reliable, and i understand my problems now.