Re: A challenge exploding trees

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Scot and all,

I suspect it's related to the peak currents flowing through the "live"
part of the tree branch - the wet layer right underneath the bark - that
ends up causing some type of serious damage to the limb. The peak
current from a medium to large coil can be in the range of amperes, or
even 10's of amperes, during a power arc to ground (or through a nearby
tree limb). But it's not clear just what the nature of the destruction
inside the limb might be. However, if the impact is a disruption in the
flow of nutrients or water through this layer, anything above it will
soon die.

A tree hit by lightning (even if not explosively destroyed) may still
die, but it may take a year or two. My neighbor's tree got hit two years
ago and it seems to be progressively "dying back", loosing entire
branches and limbs over time. Maybe some type of fungus or bugs getting
into the areas exposed by the blasted off bark?

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman