Re: Protective Capacitors?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Goatboy . by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<level5ive-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>I have recently aquired 20 General Electric Protective Capacitors...They
>are used for surge suppression on large. sync motors(in case of lighting
>strike  ect..). I was wondering if I could use them for Tesla Coil
>use...they are
>rated -at- .5uf , 6900 vac...the dielectric used is polypropylene in
>dielektrol .....they have an internal discharge resistor...(Im not sure if
>that would be a problem)...
>so you guys tell me what you think...
>

>thanks...
>INMAN

Hi Inman...

built as they are  they wont work for the tank circuit of a coil....
BUT... with some ( well ALOT of )  patience and a disc cutter you can
remove the inner packs and series them for a tank circuit cap.  BUT be
forewarned ...  its a messy job the oil REALLY STINKS  ( burns the skin
a tad on contact) the caps are under pressure from the oil . The tabs
used to connect the packs together are a very brittle aluminum alloy.
The resistors are high voltage types  very nice construction ( about 1.6
meg to 16 meg depending on the caps)

you will have to drill the cap first to relieve the pressure on the case
first....  then cut along the weld line and remove the top.  you will
find 2 wires coming from the cap to the insulators. also you will have
to negotiate your way thru several layers of heavy brown "paper" to get
to the packets....

Scot  D