Re: Simple RF Ground

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

> I currently live in a townhouse so I don't have a large (well actually i
> don't have any except for a small patio area with a small garden).
> What is the simplest type of RF ground construction i can live with my coil
> (15kv, 60mA)
> Can i get away with just a pipe hammered into the soil and then running the
> RF ground cable to my living room where i'll have a chicken wire carpet
> under my coil???

That should do quite well - i.e. a somewhat large chicken wire/fence
spread out beneath the coil. I've been doing this on some demo stands,
chicken wire over a concrete floor, and it works quite well. Fence size
being something like 2m x 2m, and using a broad copper strip or RF braid
to connect the TC sec base to the fence.

Just take precautions that you don't actually stand on that fence while
doing TC stunts... :-) Especially if you have the NST center tap connected
to the fence instead of mains ground (some people do this, though I don't
know why, really).

cheers,

 - Jan

--