RE: primary solid/ tube and DC TENSION LINES

Original poster: "Nick Andrews by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nicothefabulous-at-hotmail-dot-com>

When we were installing fiberoptic cable for Level 3's network in Georgia,
we ran along under the BIG HV lines.  We installed dielectric cable (without
metal armor) for this reason, to keep HV out of the equipment at inline
amplifier stations.  However, we also installed a #6 solid tracer wire in a
spare duct for locating the cable.  We grounded the tracer every 2600' or so
at handholes, but once disconnected to work on it, it would build up to 400V
on the #6 in less than ten minutes!  A lot of this was under 500kV lines.
They should have used a smaller tracer, but were worried about it breaking
during installation.  We blew a rope through the duct, then pulled the wire
in.

Nick A
Littleton, CO