Re: wire AWG and safe current draw

> A Buddy of mine wanted to know if he could run a 240VAC 40A dual pole
> breaker on 10 AWG wire instead of 8 AWG. Anyone actually done this one
> before?

	It would work.
	Not recommended.

> Am I right in saying that this would cause a wall fire?

	No fire.  The 'UL/NEC' specs are WAY conservative.
	I'd run two #10's, to keep it legal.
	(hint: Insurance companies get REAL narrow minded
	about such things....  Even if SOMEthing ELSE
	were the cause, guess what gets noticed...)

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...
	Vernor Vinge