Re: Toroid Construction - Need something good . . .

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Toroid Construction - Need something good . . .
>Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:11:11 -0600
>
>Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
>

>	I purchased a commercial toroids, but would also like to build some
>extra toroids to try out.
>
>	I've looked at lots of links to how to build a toroid, but most of
>what i've seen seems half-assed.  I think i'm missing the good sites on
>toroid construction.
>
>	Could someone help me find a good site or method for constructing a
>top notch toroid???
>
>	Thanks again.
>
>	Dan

Hi Dan,

I dont know if you will call this half-a**ed but it works exellent for my
coils.  Take some 4" ( or whatever you want) diameter black flexible drain
pipe.  Form a toroid of whatever size you want.  Tape the ends together.
Then wrape the whole thing in duct tape to help get rid of the dips in the
corrigation.  Then when its all covered, cover it again with aluminum tape
strips.  My 4" tall x 14" diameter toroid has no problem putting out 1 or 2
arcs of 30" or so.  If you want bigger arcs go with a 5" or 6" pipe, and a
resonable outer diameter as to not load the coil down to where it cant be
tuned.  But 4" is what was handy, and its big enough to build up arcs in the
30-36" range fairly well.  You may have already seen this, but maybe you
dont know that it really makes a good performer, for very little money.  Im
sure that you are looking for a good looker too, but this doesnt look too
bad.

Steve Ward.

__