Re: NST rebuilds/success #1

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

HI,

thanks for that tip about melting them.  After fooling around with a 15/30
that had a core that i couldnt concieve a way to separate, i jumped on my
15/60 france.  Well after about 12 hours or so, im left with:  tar imbedded
fingers, tar covered tools, a few stains on the garage floor, a sore wrist,
and a sweet 1000watt++ PSU.  The arc is so fat and extremely hot!  I cant
wait to begin my newest coil.  I plan to go all out and make it with this
1kw psu.  If anyone is looking at unpotting/rebuilding NSTs, try to get
France, they are far easier to work with that most others ive taken apart.
So when doing the final clean up of the core and coils, i couldnt fit all
the shunts back in with the added insualtion.  Sooo, the transformer draws a
nice 12A  ;).  I can already see the 3.5 footers in my mind :).  I will aslo
be considering making another coil psu with 3 or 4 15/30 rebuilds, with a
few shunts missing. OR crack open another France 15/60 for a dual supply of
15/~140ma(I get excited just thinking about it)  I like the idea of getting
use out of so many transformers, but all that depotting really takes it out
of ya!!  Ill try either gasoline/ karosene or heating them out of the tar
(wish me luck!).  Oh and the transformer i just rebuilt had one dead half! I
just check for continuity with a ohm meter, and if both coil look ok i go
for the rebuild.  I would think that if the coil had broken down through the
coil, it would burn the winding and show an open circuit.

Steve Ward.