Re: Design for Syncronous Rotary Gap

In a message dated 7/20/02 2:57:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> ?
>
>     2.  Are synchronous gaps dangerous to NSTs????  If so, what can i do
> to protect them.  I guess over-voltage is a concern.  Safety gaps?  Change
> in tank capacitor value???
>
>     Thanks again for the great help.

Dan,

The cap value should be the so-called LTR or larger than
resonant value of about 2.2 to 2.6 times the resonant or
matched value.  This will keep the voltage lower and tend
to protect the NST.  This will give good results with a sync
rotary gap.  But you'll still need to set the safety gap wider
than would perhaps be used with a static gap.  This mode
of operation is considered to be excellent for getting the
most out of a NST.

John