Re: TC resonance estimation?

Original poster: "Mike Panetta by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ahuitzot-at-mindspring-dot-com>

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 14:18, Tesla list wrote:
> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> Hi Mike,
>
> On 19 Jul 2002, at 8:14, Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Mike Panetta by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ahuitzot-at-mindspring-dot-com>
> >

> > Would a coil of other then a 6:1 aspect ratio fix the problem with
> > losses?  I was thinking about making a 12" x 2" coil until I saw that
> > the resonance frequency (with a particular top load) would be somewhere
> > around 1MHz...  This was someone elses project that I found on a web
> > page out there on the web (it was a google search for ' small tesla
> > coils '), so MMMV (My Milage May Vary ;) I guess...  Do you know of any
> > web sites off hand that would describe how I would go about choosing my
> > resonance frequency, and what the tradeoffs are of the various size
> > coils?
>
> There is a simple rule I use to make a design converge with
> acceptably low losses. If the coil is spacewound, aim for the wire
> diameter to be a minimum of 3 skin depths thick at the lowest
> frequency of operation you will run the coil (i.e. with the largest
> total - terminal+coil - capacitance). If the coil is to be
> closewound, I'd go for a minimum wire diameter of five skin depths at
> the lowest operating frequency. I don't have a ready made program to
> do it for you sorry. Perhaps I should write one. Using this rule and
> iteratively designing a resonator will give you a definite final
> result.
>
> Here is the basic algorithm:
>     Start with knowing the desired frequency, and a projected maximum
> output voltage so you can choose the height of your coil. Then choose
> a desired aspect ratio. Next, choose your desired top terminal and
> find the capacitance of the structure (there is definite answer which
> doesn't require you having to know the inductance in advance). A
> simple calculation now yields the required inductance to do the job
> and from there, you can calculate the number of turns using Wheeler's
> equation rearranged (you know L, height and radius). Calculate the
> wire size required, then compare the diameter with a calculated skin
> depth figure (which needs only the frequency and the multiplier a la
> close/space wound). If the required wire diameter is significantly
> smaller than the skin depth calc tells you it should be, you know
> that an increase in coil size is required. The converse is true if
> you wish to make the coil smaller.

Ok, so I need to do a bit more reserch on what the upper limits are on
the FET switching rates in what I will be using on my SSTC I guess.
That way I will be able to figure out what frequency range I want to
target.  What simulation tools do you guys use?  Are they free?  I think
I should definately simulate this stuff before trying it out because I
do not have the money to blow on fets and such :).

>     The guide to wire diameter is based on experience and I am hoping
> that something more concrete might be refined by the TSSP project
> (Paul ;). It may be that the guides are too conservative or it may
> not. I do know that cramming heaps of inductance into a small coil is
> a total loser.

What is the TSSP project?

> > Do you think a google search on the names you gave above would return
> > any useful results?  I think I may do the search anyways and find out
> > myself ;).  As for the top load, I was thinking of using a steel float
> > that I have as the top load, but I do not know how well it would do.
> > Its not spherical, but its kinda more like a short cylinder (maybe 3
> > inches) thats has a hemisphere at each end to cap it.  As you can see, I
> > am trying to keep this as cheap as possible to start with by using as
> > much of things I already have on hand as possible ;)
>
> Look out for Wheeler's formula for inductance and Medhurst's formula
> for self-capacitance in the list archives. No need to repeat what is
> already there. If the above sounds like work, it is. However, it
> increases the amount of "design" in the design procedure.

Ok, will do.  I do not mind the extra design work, as currently I am in
no real hurry, and I seem to have all the time in the world since I do
not currently have a job...

> Regards,
> Malcolm

Thanks,