Re: ozone rich environment

Original poster: "Scott Hanson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <huil888-at-surfside-dot-net>

Gary -

Don't kid yourself. "Rectal insufflation"?  Not for me, thank you. Instead
of looking for "reliable information" on a website where they are trying to
sell you ozone generators to cure cancer and extend your lifespan, look
instead to any of the US State, Federal, or Canadian Occupational Safety and
Health sites, or any industrial hygienist site. Look under "ozone TLV"
(threshold limit value).

Ozone is a reactive oxidizing gas, highly irritating and eventually
destructive to human lung tissue even at moderate exposure levels. Like all
exposure to toxins, individual response depends on concentration, duration
of exposure, and level of exertion during the exposure period. If you can
smell it, the concentration is likely above the permissible exposure levels.
Outdoor Tesla coil operation is probably safe, but even a small coil
operated indoors without special attention to forced ventilation almost
certainly generates ozone levels above maximum recommended levels.

Typical permissible levels for industrial exposure are fractions of one part
per million. From the Canadian Centre For Occupational Health and Safety,
ozone exposure limits are as follows:

TIME-WEIGHTED AVERAGE (TLV-TWA): Heavy work 0.05 ppm (0.1 mg/m3); Moderate
work 0.08 ppm (0.16 mg/m3); Light work 0.1 ppm (0.2 mg/m3))*

A few other interesting facts, from the same source:

Is ozone stable when exposed to air, moisture, or heat?
Ozone decomposes slowly to oxygen with a half-life of 3 days at 20 deg C and
of 3 months at -50 deg C. The rate of decomposition is increased by light,
trace organic matter, nitrogen oxides, mercury vapour, peroxides, metals
(e.g. copper, copper alloys, iron and chromium) and metal oxides.

Are there any conditions to avoid when using ozone?
Electrical sparks, heat, shock wave, intense light flash.

Does ozone have an odour threshold (at what level can I smell it)?
Reported values vary; 0.0076 ppm (minimum perceptible value); 0.005 -2.0 ppm
(detection threshold); 0.1 ppm (recognition) .

 Is the odour of ozone reliable as a warning property?
NOT RELIABLE - variations in the detection range reported and olfactory
fatigue occurs (ability to smell ozone is lost quickly as exposure
continues).

How can I work with ozone safely?
This material is a VERY TOXIC, DANGEROUSLY REACTIVE, OXIDIZING gas.
(additional discussion on working with ozone generators).

Scott Hanson