Re: Pig power...WOW!!

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 01:08 PM 21/07/02 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi Weazle,
>
>Yes, you have been hopelessly bitten by the "pig bug" :-) I had the same
>experience when I first went to "pig power".  The sparks are absolutely
>awesome aren't they?

SNIP

>Glad to hear of your pig success and you should be able to work up to
>10 ft.+ spark length once you get it all bugs out of it and can run
>it at the full 260 volt input.
>
>Coilin' in Memphis,
>David Rieben

Hi David, Coilers,

I was doing a bit of figuring today, and with my ballast set to allow a
maximum of 12 Amps to the pig with a fully open variac, I will only be
getting about 2800 Watts input...roughly 1/3 of its rating, but all my
present coil power circuit can stand.

I cobbled up a higher volume air pump to the gap chamber today and was
able to get streamers up to about five feet in length.  That was with
about 200 Volts set on the variac...not bad for a 4 x 22 secondary and
26 nF. of cap.  The RSG will surely improve upon that.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca