Re: 500 watts per pound

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Can you post the specs, manuf, etc for this little unit?  While it may be
as unsuitable for TC's as those little solid-state NST's used in cars, it
may be of some use if heavily protected.

   With ferrite core transformers operating at high frequencies, you can
get awesome power density.  The flat surface mount transformers are the
neatest things I've seen in a long time.  The windings are actually spirals
of copper tracing on PP sheets, and are stacked up to give you the proper
number of turns.  The flat traces work well at high frequencies, you get a
higher number of turns into a smaller area, *and* it works with higher
current. I've seen mica sheets also used for transformers that run hot.

   I'm having to tell myself very much that I have quite enough stuff
already...even though they're cheap and light, I don't *really* need to buy
one....don't need it....must not give in....

  Shad G5-1203

-