Re: MOTs & Thoughts

Hi Ken,

I hooked up my MOT with a current monitor on the input and looked at the
input and output voltages with no load on the output of the MOT.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P2002-7-01.jpg

Here are the input voltages (top) and input current (bottom) at 90, 100,
and 110 VAC:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Ken90Vin.gif

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Ken100Vin.gif

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Ken110Vin.gif

After 90 volts AC, the input current suddenly starts to grow these big
spikes.  Since they are 90 degrees out of phase (sort of), the power is
probably low (I should have pushed the power button on the scope...**)

Here is the output voltage and input current:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Ken90Vout.gif

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Ken100Vout.gif

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Ken110Vout.gif

As I turn up the voltage, the output voltage seems to be hitting some
ceiling in that it suddenly does not want to go much higher.  Seems to be
saturating to me ;-)

I wonder if this action could be beneficial in a microwave oven for some
reason.  I don't think it would have been very hard to fix this if they
wanted too.  It seems to be deliberate.

-------

**Realizing I missed a golden opportunity to push buttons, I went back and
found the power input:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Ken80p.gif

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Ken90p.gif

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Ken100p.gif

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Ken110p.gif

Vin 	Real Power
80.3	28.87W
89.7	36.19
99.3	45.41
110	57.72

So it is only burning about 60 watts at 110 VAC.  Saturating, but the
current is still mostly 90 degrees out of phase so the real heating power
is low.

Cheers,

	Terry