Re: SSTC As a transmitter.

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

> Original poster: "Mike Panetta by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ahuitzot-at-mindspring-dot-com>
> Now that would be cool!  I had actually had a similar thought, working a
> ham band with an SSTC, but I was not sure of the legality of it.

A sstc qso would be great, Tesla would've probably liked that. :)

 http://www.amrad-dot-org/projects/lf/

At least doing CW with the TC is something that should work extremely
well!! Keying done by switching the mains supply (switch before the
rectifiers and small smoothing caps) on and off => no key clicks.

The ham available LF bands are between 70 and 190kHz (depends on your
country), so that'd be very well "reachable" with any medium-to-larger
sized TC secondary coil.

Does anyone know what power levels are allowed? If it is 120W or more,
then we're talking business!  :-)
SSTC-DX, the new way of intercontinental DX. That'd be cool... :o)))

For voice transmission, I'd "think" that power modulation (corresponds to
AM modulation, right?) by pulse width modulation of the SSTC drive signal
would give the narrowest output bandwidth and "cleanest" signal. I might
be wrong, of course, as I've never tried this out. :-)

By the way, the TC should better not produce any streamers, because
then Q would be abysmal i.e. loaded TC sec == broadband band pass filter.
And the resonant frequency ("carrier") would be pretty unpredictable too. :-(

hmm...

cheers,

 - Jan

--