Re: MOTs & Thoughts

Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi KEN,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

> I want to see the voltage and current waveforms of these so called
> "saturated" transformers. Show me clipped output voltage waveforms at no
> load.

	I'm not quite sure what you mean here (I'm not all that knowledgable on
the subject).  All I know is what I've seen in the measurements that
I've taken.  I'm guessing that you mean that the top of the sine wave is
"flattenned"?.  I haven't taken a scope to any of my MOTs, but a test I
just did (input voltage vs output voltage) shows that after 95 or so
input VAC, the output voltage levels off.  Another 10 VAC in no longer
yields another 170 volts out.  This was done with 1.5 Mohms across the
MOT secondary, which is close to an open circuit, at least as far as the
MOT is concerned.  I used good quality resistors, which got very warm,
but stayed well within their tolerances (1%), so the voltage leveling
wasn't due to hot resistors.

> do these "saturated" transformers dissipate 600 watts of heat?

	I doubt it, but they do get quite warm.  One of my transformers pulls 4
amps open circuit with 120VAC in.  When I load them, they get very hot,
very fast.  One even started melting the epoxy insulation I put on the
primary.

> KEN

	Forgive me if I've made a mistake.  I'm just reporting MY
results/experiences with MOTs.

Good cheer to all,
Winston K.