I just realized something.
i have three identical isolation transformers (IT's): they have 277 v
primary and 120 volt secondary.
Therefor the voltage output is reduced by a factor of .433   (120/270)  the
first IT's (call it IT #1) primary is in series with the 14.4 KV potential
transformer (PT) and thus gets fed 120 VAC.  The secondary of this IT thus
has an output of 51 VAC.  That 51 VAC is fed into IT #2's primary.  Out of
it's secondary  comes 22 VAC.  THAT 22 VAC is fed into the primary of IT
#3, and out of its secondary comes 9.7 VAC.  That is fed into a big variac:
 one wire to a fixed end of the variac winding, and one wire to the
sweeping electrode.  By adjusting the variac, I can vary its inductive
reactance ie resistance.  This gets transmitted up the line and ultimately
will adjust the current flowing through IT # 1's primary and will limit the
current to the PT.
IS THIS SICK OR WHAT???  It all sure is heavy!!!!
Any comments out there??  Don't worry, I've steeled myself for scathing and
vitupritive vitriol!!
Bill Shepard
Winchandle-at-aol-dot-com