RE: Dumpster Diving - Legality vs Reality and health

Original poster: "Nick Andrews by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nicothefabulous-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Years ago, when NMSU had their own dump in a n area near my house, we used
to get chased out regularly by the guy in charge of the place.  I think they
were more concerned about people strewing broken glass and paper everywhere,
or injury liability.  Of course I now wish I'd paid more attention to junk
equipment, we mostly looked for glassware from the labs back then.

I'd ask permission if it's feasible, but sometimes you just have to go for
it.  In many cases, by the time you find someone who will accept
responsibility for saying it's okay, the goodies are gone.  I used to obtain
water lilies from a pond on campus.  I tried to get permission to get them,
but could never find anyone who would say, sure, go ahead.  So we just did
it, and no one ever complained.  The campus cops even drove by on several
occaisions and didn't even slow down.

On the other hand, if you haul the junk (gold bullion?) away, it's less
disposal cost for them.  In many cases, they pay by the dumpster-load.

Nick A
Littleton  CO