Re: What ever happend to flat secondaries???

I guess their still around.Here's a pic of my flat coil;
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/photos/ba0/52002-f3.jpg

The long rod on the coil as well as the ground rod are no longer there. I'm
now using two "nice"
chrome salad bowls on a rod about 1/2 of the photo's length.
The coil was wound on a plexiglass sheet (with the help of a lazy-susan and
carpet tape) and then
varnished. The primary is a simple flat spiral about 5 or 6 inches below.
Coupling adjustment is
simple and easy this way (which is why I took this route - and plenty of
coupling).

Here's a little 3" spark running on a single 2kv (or less) MOT with the
simplest of gaps (2 tungsten
rods set into a fuse holder).
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/photos/ba0/52002-f1.jpg

I'm currently collecting MOT's (have 4 now, but 1 is small compared to the
rest). I don't have an NST
(just a pig), so I decided on MOT's. Running at such a low voltage heats up
the gap considerably (30s
runs at most). A higher voltage will allow a wider gap so normalized
running can fall in place. Runs
well though at the low voltage (no racing arcs, etc..). The goal on the
little thing is to run my
triggered gap (which should allow a simple 2-MOT supply to run at a larger
than normal gap spacing).

Take care,
Bart