Re: 15000V/120 ma NSTs, other XFMRs

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi John,

Actually, a friend of mine depotted the magnetek and had this problem, i
dont know if i would have had the same problem, since this was his first
depotting.  Aslo John, what method do you use for depotting??  I just pry
the tar away for about 2 hours.  And, did you ever have to make repairs to
any of youre secondaries??

On a lower note, i gashed my hand VERY BADLY, i have a gash about 1" long
and about 1/8" deep into the outside of my hand.  What from??  No other than
the sharp casing of a France NST, that was recently torn open.  I think i
should probably get stitches, but it does not hurt at all for some reason,
and i dont want to go to the hospital.  Here is a interesting situation, my
recently depotted 15/30 nst (FRANCE) does not work, one secondary is bad.
The good secondary reads 9k ohm but the bad one reads 6k ohm.  Are there
some shorted turns?? I always figured that if a coil broke down internally,
that the coil wire would be broken at least somewhere, telling my meter that
i have an open circuit.  This is not the case.  The bad secondary only puts
out a few hundred volts, and gets warm from running it.  And one more bad
note: half way through a 12/60 depotting(magnetek), i damaged the secondary
when pulling off the tar.  When i pulled it off, it pulled off part of the
secondary coil, leaving busted up wire showing:((.  I must say, this is not
my night!!

Steve Ward.

http://photos.msn-dot-com/support/worldwide.aspx