Re: Machining SRSG disk ?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "D.C. Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>

> Use a lathe for good accuracy and balance.
>
> Dr. Resonance

	Every hobby shop should have a lathe of some kind, even if it means
pinching pennies and holding off on other exotic purchases to save the
money.  By shopping around it's possible to get a usable 9" lathe with a
couple of decent chucks for around 500 bucks or less, and a pretty
decent one for about twice that. [At least here in the LA area, maybe
cheaper elsewhere.]  A bigger lathe is better if you are going to be
turning disks and stuff like that, and I have an old 11" Logan here
which works quite well.

	As for making shaft holes I like to chuck the stock in a 3-jaw, drill
the hole and then bring it up to size with an internal boring tool
followed by a reamer for final diameter.  After that it can be mounted
on a mandrel and the outer shape machine to be quite accurately
concentric with the shaft.  Whole operation takes only a few minutes,
and is far superior to just drilling the whole to size.

Ed