Re: Protecting Garage Door Opener

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Zimtesla-at-aol-dot-com>

That's an interesting story. Are you sure the TC
killed your opener? Maybe its time had come and it
would have died anyway. I have a Sears
remote-controlled garage door opener. I've run coils
inside my garage at up to 7500VA from an 11KV pole
transformer without any harm. Even my little coil runs
at 1000-1700VA on at least a weekly basis. The only
precaution I take is to unplug the opener first. I've
forgotten to unplug it a few times and noticed a red
LED on the opener blinking urgently while the coil was
firing. Over two years of coiling activity with no
harm done so far. On the other hand, I've seen more
than one posting on this list about TC damage to
garage door openers, so maybe I'm just lucky.

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg

Thanks for the information Greg. The open is relatively new and the fact that
it worked fine moments before the coil runs and then was dead afterward seems
to point to the coil. Maybe Sears openers use a different type of
semiconductor.
Jim