MMC resister problem

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi everyone,

My friends large coil project has been having problems with the cap and im
hoping someone could give me an answer.  Here are the specs for his MMC cap:

caps are green Russian military caps.  .0047uf-at- 16kvdc each.  We wired them
into strings of 3 in series, with 30 strings in parallel.  Thats a lot of
caps!!

Now we only have a single 10meg ohm resister across each cap, and the
problem is that these cheap radioshack resisters are starting to arc between
the leads.  I have a feeling that its because 1) they are not rated for HV
and 2) we only have 3 caps in series, so its alot easier for it to arc
across 3 resisters, rather than the 7-10 that a normal MMC would have.

So...  would i be able to fix this by putting 2 resisters across each cap??
or would we need more like 3 on each cap?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Steve Ward.

http://photos.msn-dot-com/support/worldwide.aspx