Re: Primary strikes

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Primary strikes
>Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 17:06:28 -0600
>
>Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><f-h-at-c.dk>
>
>Hello stephen!
>
>I was interested in the same question some time back, and performed the
>experiment shown on this picture:
>Http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/caparc.jpg
>
>As you see, no harm was done. The coil is a quick MOT driven lashup.
>
>Since the energy that the cap receives from the arc originates from
>itself, and has been taxed by spark gap, and other losses, it should not
>be enough to create a voltage higher than that which was originally
>across it.
>
>So a primary strike is not bad for the cap, however it may still be a
>nuisance, because it can trigger the safety gap, with erretic firing as
>a result.
>
>That`s why I have strike rings on my coils anyway.
>
>Cheers, Finn Hammer

Wow!

Thats some pretty intensive testing!  I really have not had much problems
with it firing my safety gap.  If i dont have to install a strike ring, then
i do not want to, that would further limit my sparks.  Hopefully, when i
finish all of my plans that i have for this coil project(oh, and im getting
quite ambitious) i will have some pics that Terry could put up somewhere on
his site.

Steve Ward.

Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn-dot-com