I Need some Help.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <TeraJoule-at-aol-dot-com>

~Hello
       I have been working on my first coil for a few weeks now.  I finished it
and turned it on.  There was no discharge off of the Sphere on the secondary.
However there is a little arc (and I mean little) when I place a piece of metal
next to it (something like a screw driver).  I've been wracking my brain to try
and fix this problem and I was wondering if one of you fine gentlemen would
help me.  I think it is something with the frequency of my circuits. I believe
they are mismatched...

The Dimensions of my coil are as follows:
Secondary uses 30 gauge copper wire that is wrapped around a PVC pipe 7/8 in.
diameter and 8.25 inches tall. (about 700 turns) the sphere on top is .75
inches in diameter.

The transformer is 9000 V NST and 30 mA.  It's rated at 120 V.

The capacitor has 17 sheets of 5.5 in. x 6 in. separated by .1 in. window pain
glass.  (I don't know the dielectric value.)  If it makes any difference, only
4 inches of the foil overlaps for each of the plates ( a 6 inch x 4 inch plate)

The spark gap is non-rotary and can be adjusted to any distance it needs to be
at.

The primary is helical and is basically 5 turns of wire.  3.5 in. in diameter,
spaced 1 inch from eachother.  (I would be most willing to change this or the
capacitor.)

I would be forever grateful if someone could help me work out the flaws in this
design.  Thank you very much for all of your time.

Sincerely,
Alex