Re: Air-core power transfomers

Quick answers...

1) You need a bunch of inductance to store energy in a typical switcher..
gotta have a core, therefore (or a huge aircore inductor/transformer. If
you get your switching frequency up high enough, it's less of an issue
(which is why the industry is pushing to ever higher switcher
frequencies... 20 kHz used to be sort of standard, now, they're pushing 500
kHz, 1 MHz and higher.  The limit is the losses in the switching device and
in skin effect (sound familiar, tesla coilers?)

2) Air doesn't saturate (at least, not at any field we're likely to encounter)

3) Coupling should be as high as possible, for most switchmode power supply
designs.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>