Re: Mad NST!

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

05/06/2002 06:00:12, "Tesla list"
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of
Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Hello all,
>
>As of now, i have had 2 successful NST
re-builds(out of 2 tries).  MY first
>was a 9000v 30 ma France, i depotted and
made it a 9/50.  It works nicely,
>and i have no problems with it(obviously
not why im writing).  But the
>transformer that i have recently fixed is
a 12000v 30 ma france, that had
>one bad secondary.  It was actually my
friends transformer.  After he made a
>crude attempt to fix it, he gave up and
gave it to me.  He ended up damaging
>both a secondary and the primary.  I
fixed the primary by removing 3
>layers(out of only ~15-18 total layers),
since he peirced it deeply with a
>screw driver.  He pierced one of the
secondaries as well, it was fixed in
>the same manner, this time removing about
10 layers to get to continuity.
>So to even out the secondaries, i removed
~ 10 layers from the other coil.
>They both read ~ 7k ohms.  Now getting to
the problems.  When i powerd it
>up, it worked great, then, an arc shorted
the inner most part of the primary
>to the core(poof!!!).  So I fixed that
and re-insulated it with some
>electrical tape.  This wanst enough as it
happened again when in TC use.
>BTW the transformer is drawing over 7
amps as of then!!  Thats way more than
>what it is rated, and i have not removed
any shunts.  So after the
>insulation went out, i put some thick
plastic like i did for the
>secondaries, around the coil.  To do
that, i had to remove 3 shunts from
>each pack, to fit the insulation.  Now
the tran draws 12 amps!!!!  What the
>hell is going on?!?!  Im almost positive
that my meter is fine.  Also, is it
>normal for it to be able to start an arc
at 1" distance?!?!  Each secondary
>can arc about .5" to the case easily.  I
can draw the arc nearly 4".

>First of all, 7A from a 3A transformer is
way too much, even without PFC.
>But now that its drawing 12A im starting
to get scared!  Does anyone know
>why its doing this.  I figured that its
because i removed a lot of wire.
>But i really dont think that its very
safe for this thing to be drawing 12A.
>  Also, judging from the 1" arc lenght,
how much voltage do you think that i
>have??  My 9000v 50ma unit can barely
start a .5" arc under the same
>conditions, and it isnt nearly as
powerful looking as this transformer.  Any
>thoughts are welcome about my little
situation.  Thanks,

>By the way, what is the average power
draw from a 360VA transformer with out
>any type of power factor correction.  If
its 2x the rating(6A for a 360VA
>tran) then the 7 amp reading makes sense
if i figure i removed 15-20% of the
>primary winding.  Also the 15-20% winding
removal would calculate a 14400
>volt output, which almost seems right
with that long of an arc length.  I
>wonder if i didnt just solve my
problem???  but 12A is still really high!!
>Help is probably still needed.
>
>Steve Ward.

hi steve

By removing turns from the primary (the
turns removed rom the secondry are such a
small proportion if total turns it doesnt
matter) you have increased the voltage of
the transformer by (3/15)*100 = 20% or in
other words it is now putting out around
1440v with a peak voltage of 20,700v
whaich explains the ability of it to jump
an inch in air. It alsom means that the
core is saturating and drawing an obscene
amount of current. All you need to do is
to re wind the 3 layers of primary
windings you removed with some fresh wire
and all will be well.

regards

alex
Alexander JJ Rice
Geek#-1232
Rank : G-2 (Wahey!)
http://www.TheGeekGroup-dot-org
"Because the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth
!"?