Re: SSTC not working as expected

Hi Rob,
        Low powered bench expts I've done indicate that driving a TC
primary is definitely superior to bottom feeding. It is an impedance
problem. The real problem is that due to a less than infinite output
impedance, the base impedance of the resonator is well above zero
Ohms. This is one reason why running a resonator from a classic pri-
sec arrangement in a disruptive TC works so well. I'm not saying that
what you're doing can't be made to work - it can as others have
demonstrated. It's just that you need a considerably greater steup-up
ratio to get your driver's output impedance more in line with the
base impedance of the resonator. Even there it doesn't end - the
moment sparks start issuing from the top of the resonator. the base
impedance leaps upwards as it would in any previously "open circuit"
1/4 wave transformer with a load applied to the far end. Useful for
input power limiting I suppose.

Regards,
malcolm

On 5 Jun 2002, at 12:39, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>