Re: SSTC not working as expected

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

> 2.  160V applied to latest generation IR IRFP50LC 600V reduced gate
> charge MOSFET, in a flyback configuration. A 100pF-500ohm snubber is
> used.

Forward converter should be better. Then you can run 50% duty at the TC
reso freq and still have power transfer over the cycle, not just the
off-time. I.e. leave out the air-gap and redesign the xfmr.

> 4.  Output tranformer is 10 turns primary, 30 turns secondary, which
> then bottom feeds the coil.  This tranformer core only gets hot after
> very long use. It is 1.5 sq cm core area.

Have you already tried doubling the secondary turns? ~500V out seems a bit
on the low side, at least IMO. Current draw will hopefully go up as you
add more sec turns. Of course, at the same time the voltage spikes on the
pri side will get larger...

My small SSTC (direct TC pri drive) needs 2A at 220vac mains to get large
streamer breakout.
Less than 2A and not much will happen, streamer wise. It just sits there.

So, just crank up the xfmr sec side voltage! :)

cheers,

 - Jan

--
 high voltage at http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla