Re: Variable Ballast

In a message dated 6/7/02 3:32:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> .  I have not seen anyone else make one similar to
> mine.  Maybe there is a reason for that?  Can someone tell me if this is
> good design or not?

Ryan,

Yes, it's a good design, and mine is actually very similar.
I bought mine from a friend, and it has about 300 turns of 12awg
wire.  There are about 6 taps for various inductances, or I can
pull out the core which was originally a mix of threaded rods and
steel welding rods.  The 6 tap wires go to a selector switch.
I eventually replaced the core with the "I"s from old NSTs, which
increased the total inductance.

Cheers,
John