RE: Variable Ballast

Original poster: "Lannis, Ryan (Ryan) by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <lannis-at-lucent-dot-com>

Greg, all,

Sorry I have never used an arc welder or E-I core air gap ballast.  I would
be happy to make some measurements for you.  Good question, now I am
curious.  I built my Tesla coil during college and played with it for a few
months afterwards.  I moved to Massachusetts to take a job with Lucent
Technologies.  For the past 2 years I have lived in a 3 room apartment.  I
would love to fire up the Tesla Coil but unfortunally there is just no room
for it. Anyways, tell me how to measure the efficiency of the ballasts.
Power in / Power out ??  At various core positions?  I can setup the
transformers in a Jacobs ladder configuration.  As far as magnetic fields
are concerned, there have been times that I have seen one or 2 rods vibrate
(probably 60 Hz) but the magnetic field has never pulled the rods into or
out of the core.

I have been told that the rods should be insulated from each other, has to
do with eddy currents?  I have been meaning to paint the rods, never gotten
around to it.  I need to research this some more, I don't understand eddy
currents?

Ryan Lannis
Ayer, MA

ps: Greg I might give you a call someday, I spent a year in Perth, Australia
as an exchange student, I have always wanted to get back out there.  Small
World!!!!