A New TC Topology

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Hi List,

Being a glutton for punishment, I tried yet another DC powered TC
arrangement.  This runs my twin 4 x 23 research coil with streamer length
set at 4 feet.  DC supply is 10 KV from dual MOT doublers and about 6 mF
filtering on the output.

The DC supply goes to a 200 mH charging reactor in series with a string of
1N5408s as a de-Qing diode.  This goes to a variable speed RSG set up to
function as a SPDT switch.  With the RSG gap at position 1, the charging
circuit charges up the tank cap to about twice the DC supply voltage.  As
the SRG moves to position 2, the tank cap discharges into the primary.  The
RSG allows the BPS to be varied from 1 to 400 or so BPS.

Results are a mixed bag.  On the one hand, the 48" streamers are bright and
the setup is fairly efficient electrically.  But on the other hand, I could
not achieve smooth operation above about 100 BPS.  Operation was erratic and
uneven for some reason.  DC input power rapidly varied quite a lot and it
was difficult to take readings.  DC power was in the range of 700 to 780
watts for the streamers to start connecting at 48 inches (BPS between 200
and 400).  Very unsatisfying operation.

Anyone have any ideas why this setup doesn't run more smoothly?

--Steve