Re: Garolite (G9, G10, G11) questions.

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Hi Sam...

hows things going...   good to see you in here  :)

comments intersperced in your original letter...

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Sam Barros by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<list-at-powerlabs-dot-org>

> Greetings,
>
> This question concerns materials choice for a rotary spark gap.
>Obviously we want the rotor disk to be as light as possible so that
>a smaller motor can be utilized and the spin up time becomes shorter.

smaller discs offer problems in design as far as "insulation" values
from the motor shaft to electrode distance. Plus... do you plan to start
the disc spin-up as soon as you start the T coil? Most of us have the
disc running well before we apply power to the coil..

>In order for a light disk to withstand the centrifugal forces encountered
>in rotary spark gap duty it would make sense to use the strongest
>material possible (within some price restrictions obviously). I notice
>that G-10 grade Garolite seems to be the most often used material,
>and with a tensile strenght of 40000PSI and an impact strenght of
>7ft/lbs/in it is definitely a good choice. I also see some designs
>using polycarbonate but at 9000PSI tensile strenght, 12ft/lbs/in
>impact strenght I would definitely go for G-10.
> However, why doesn't anyone use grade G-9 Garolite? With a tensile
>strength of 66,700PSI lenghtwise and 51,900PSI crosswise, and an
>impact strength of 14.5ft/lbs lenghtwise and 11,2 crosswise, it would
>make a much better material choice for a lighter, stronger rotary
>spark gap disk, no?

availability of G-9 is the problem...  G-10 is much easier to find....

>The price is also virtually the same as G-10
>($29 for a 1/4in thick, 1'x1' sheet). Also, what about other grades
>of Garolite (G-11, G-30)? They seem to be weaker and more expensive,
>is there any advantage to them? Is there any plastic/composite material
>that is NON CONDUCTIVE and stronger than G-9?

Glass fillled Teflon has really great insulative values, better heat
capacities than most plastics but the price is higher than titainium
nitrided tungsten  :)

> Finally, how stiff is G-9? Does it buckle under force or does it
>tend to fracture in a brittle fashion (I am deducing from the relatively
>low impact strength that it will shatter, but I couldn't find its
>modulus of elasticity anywhere)?
> Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

it really doesnt fracture   it delaminates....  the differences in the G
values is the material used as the base "fabric". there are glass
fabrics, glass fiber, linen fiber, etc blended in the epoxy ( whatever
binder) to make the material stiff and more heat resistant. The glass
fiber matrix ( long fiber or fabric) of the higher end G materials can
be a real pain to machine ...  you will need tungsten carbide or better
tooling to work on this stuff..

>Sam Barros
>ME/EE Major at Michigan Tech.
>http://www.powerlabs-dot-org/