Re: Secondary Winding Results

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Secondary Winding Results
>Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 12:20:36 -0600
>
>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><DNAForInfinity-at-aol-dot-com>
>
>Hey,
>I finished one of my twin secondaries, and it ended up to be about 21.5" x
>4.5 inches with 24 guage, which I feel is really lucky that I got it that
>close.  My second secondary is going to have to use 28 guage, same diameter
>(4.5) but I am not sure if I would still use the 5:1 ratio for such a thin
>guage.  Does anyone know if it is the same?
>Also, does anyone know which is a better mounting material, black or white
>PVC?
>Thanks,
>Dan

Wait Wait Wait,

Are you saying that you are making twin coils, out of different sizes of
wire??? or am i misunderstanding, and these are 2 different TCs.  When, i
made my twin coil, both secondaries were of the same size and wire, with
very close to the same # of turns.  Twin coils need to be darn near perfect
to each other.  And dont use anything thats black, not even spraypaint, it
can have carbon, and it will be conductive at HV.  I once built a really
nice coil chassis, then i painted it all black, then, I realized it was
conductive, so i re-insulated it all, and i still started the coil on fire!
So if you are making a twin(half-wave) TC, then everything needs to be very
close to perfect.  If i have understood you correctly, you arent going to
get anywhere with a twin like that!

Steve Ward.