Re: MMC warming

Hi Steven,

On 9 Jun 2002, at 22:47, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Hi,
>
> Im just wondering how warm do most MMC banks become.  Im looking for some
> personal experience answers here.  I ask because my cap gets warm after a
> bit of running.  I would say that my cap heats up to about 102 degrees(F).
> Off hand i do not know how many degrees C that is.

About 44.  Conversion from C to F = ((F-32)*5)/9

  My GE caps are rated to
> 85 C.  I have a feeling that they are not that hot.  Im running my TC with a
> reconditioned NST(12/40).  My cap consists of one string of 8, GE .068uf for
> a cap of .0079uf -at- 24kvdc.  I would have to say that my transformer primary
> gets warmer than the cap, just to give you all an idea of the temperature.
> I can hold my hand on the cap with absolutely no discomfort.  I hope that im
> giving a good description of how warm they get.

One string is not enough in my book. I run about 40 - 50Apk/string at
rep rates to 200 or so with just slight warming, mostly due I suspect
to the connecting wire and a bit of heat conduction from the gap
along it. The MMC I'm referring to has lasted well with repeated runs
of a couple of minutes with variable length rest periods over the
course of a day. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just that I
wouldn't.

Regards,
Malcolm