Re: air blast vs rotary

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Zimtesla-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 06/12/2002 7:13:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Has anyone out there actually ever run both types of gaps mentioned on a
> given coil and if so which one performed better?
> Another thing I was wondering was how much gap do you run on a 4
> segment, 1800 rpm rotary running 3 9/30 NST's? Does it matter with a
> rotary style?

I have tested a vacuum horn gap against a SRSG on a small coil running a 30ma
NST. I was able to get similar results (25" sparks). The rotary was real touchy
so I can't say I have the optimum set up. The vacuum gap uses the fittings
found for gas piping that are tapered at one end. Flat end caps are drilled
with  1/4" hole and the spacing is 5/32". I use a house vac to pull air into
the gap assembly. I know that John Freau has obtained 42" sparks with a SRSG
with a 30ma NST so they may be superior if you can get them running well.
Jim
Northwest Tesla Coil Builders