RE: FW: Re: Tesla Coil Efficiency Test

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Antonio -

I agree that this test loads the secondary and reduces the output voltage.
However, don't we want to have a secondary load so the useful output is not
zero?
For the TC efficiency shouldn't this be the integrated and RMS
output/input,  otherwise, the efficiency would be an instantaneous or peak
type?
With a high enough inductive coupling to the secondary the inductive
coupling to the primary would be negligible?

I also agree that your test method is a better one but have you or any other
coiler been able to make this kind of test? What were the results? In My
book I show how Breit, Tuve, Dahl found (1930) their coil to have about 25%
efficiency using a similar method as yours. The output voltage was
determined by a special calibrated spark device.

It is interesting that after 100 years the Tesla coil is about the only
electrical apparatus for which we do not have an accurate efficiency
evaluation.

John Couture