RE: Tesla Coil Efficiency Test

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Terry,

Defining Tesla coil efficiency can be a problem. Engineering efficiency is
usually defined as
   useful work out/work in
But with a Tesla coil what is useful work out, voltage, watts, a spark,
noise, incandescent lamp, etc? That is why I thought the "black box" method
would simplify finding the TC efficiency. You only need to know the input
and output data of the black box to find the efficiency. An incandescent
lamp is a useful watt load out and the variac adjustment can be used to find
the watts in.

As you are one of the few (maybe only) coilers who has determined the
efficiency of one of his coils by the "internal losses" method it would be
interesting to see how this result compares with the "black box" method.

With your coil the output = 283.5 watts and the input = 892.3 watts. This
gives

            eff = 283.5/892.3 = .3177 or about 32% efficient

I would estimate that with an inductive coupling of about .70 your coil
would light a lamp
            283.5 x .70 = 198.45 watts
or a 200 watt lamp to almost full brightness. You would need a light meter
to do the calibration of the lamp. If the lamp output was dimmer that would
mean the coil efficiency was less than 32%. However, that assumes the .70
coupling is correct. This coupling factor (K) would have to be verified by a
separate test which could be done by the frequency test (Tesla Coil
Construction Guide p 14-10)

       K = sqrt(1-(Fo/Fs)^2)

Maybe you or some other coiler will find the time to do these tests to
advance our understanding of Tesla coil operation. As for accuracy, the
Tesla coil like any other electrical device will have an efficiency that
will vary depending on the type of load. Electrical resistance (incandescent
lamp) is the least complex type of electrical load when properly applied.
With the lamp you can determine the TC output energy very accurately, much
more accurately than for the streamer. You can measure the voltage and
amperes required for a certain lamp brightness to determine the TC output
energy to better than one percent. Any changes you make in the coil will
show up as a change in the lamp brightness which will be detected by the
light meter.

The best way to check the accuracy of the Tesla coil efficiency tests is to
use more than one type of test and compare the results. Losses for motors,
panel lights, etc, can be ignored. The efficiency of small TC's (under 15
watts) runs about 85%. For larger coils (over 15 watts) the efficiency runs
about

       eff = 1/(log(watts))

This is for coils that are of good design and are properly tuned.

Your coil  = 1/(log(892.3)) = .3389 or about 34% efficiency

Would efficiency be a better way to compare Tesla coils than the output
spark method? It would make more sense from an engineering standpoint. It
would also be more fun watching the lamp get bright, like watching a snail
race, rather than watching those boring streamers! (:})

John Couture