Re: Broken NST

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kreld-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Dan

  I have repaired several NST's when the output insulators carbon
tracked.  Pull the cover off & dig the tar out of the way near the
insulators.  A propane torch can work to heat the tar, or freeze the
transformer and chip the tar out.  The secondary wire is very thin so use
caution.  Most NST's use a clip of some kind to hold the insulator in
place, "u" clip or press nut.  Go to Home Depot or whatever has PVC
supplies & get some PVC fittings that will fit the hole in the case where
the insulator comes out.   Probably 1"  or 1 1/4" dia or so.  An external
thread to slip joint fitting works well using a metal electrical conduit
nut or PVC internal thread fitting cut short to secure it to the case.
Then a small PVC pipe & end cap with a hole drilled in it for a machine
screw & nut.  This will be the output terminal.  Some NST's insulator
openings are square, so fabricate some plastic washers if required to
fill the gap.  Easy to work with & will insulate the HV well.  Did I
mention cheap also?   A photo of mine can be seen at

 www.flash-dot-net/~kreld/IM000043.jpg

Coiling in Oklahoma

kevin E.